Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the West Columbia City Jail and when is the jail open?
- The jail is located at 310 E Clay St, West Columbia, Texas 77486.
The jail is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
How can I find out if someone is in the West Columbia City Jail?
- In person: Contact dispatch in the West Columbia Police Department lobby.
- Telephone: (979)345-5121
Where is the county jail?
- The Brazoria County Jail is located at 3602 County Rd. 45 Angleton, TX 77515. (979) 864-2338
What does it mean when a person is "booked" into jail?
- This is a process documenting a prisoner's entrance into the jail. The process includes collecting information such as the person's name, address, reason for the arrest (criminal charge(s)), and inventorying of personal property. A photograph and fingerprints are taken as well.
What occurs during an arraignment?
- An arraignment is a formal meeting between a judge and a prisoner. The judge informs the prisoner of his or her charge(s), reads the prisoner their rights, and advises the prisoner of the bond amount.
When are prisoners arraigned?
- Arraignments are generally held daily, usually in the mornings, but may occur at alternate times.
When may I visit a prisoner?
- Visitation generally occurs Sunday from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. but is subject to cancellation, without notice, by the Jail staff. Visitation requirements are:
- Visitation is limited to 15 minutes with a maximum of 2 people allowed per visit
- Visitors must be appropriately dressed, be at least 17 years of age, present a driver's license or state issued identification card and have no outstanding arrest warrants
What items may I bring a prisoner?
- Personal items of convenience and money may not be contributed to the prisoner's property. Prisoner prescription medication in the prescription bottle with the prisoner's name on the bottle will be accepted and dispensed in the prescribed manner.
How may I get a prisoner's property?
- Prisoner property can only be released after the prisoner grants signed permission authorizing the release. To claim prisoner property it is necessary to:
- Complete a property release form
- Present a driver's license or a state issued identification card
May a prisoner make free phone calls?
- Prisoners are allowed to place limited free telephone calls once the booking process has been completed. A prisoner also has the opportunity to make collect phone calls from inside a cell block.
What is an Alias (aka Bondable) warrant?
- This is a warrant where no plea has been entered. A prisoner, bail bond company, or an attorney can post a bond for this type of warrant. The bond assures that the prisoner will appear in court.
What is a Capias warrant?
- This is a warrant where a plea has been entered and the prisoner did not follow through with the court agreement. The only way to resolve a Capias warrant is to pay the fine in full or be released for "time served" by remaining in jail until enough jail credit has been earned.
How can a prisoner resolve a City of West Columbia Class C misdemeanor warrant?
- Released for "time served" after acquiring enough jail credit
- A combination of jail credit and cash or credit card payment
- Bail Bond (if charge(s) are bondable)
- Checks are not accepted
- There is not an ATM machine available
How can a prisoner get out of jail when arrested for a felony or misdemeanor (other than a Class C misdemeanor)?
- Pay the bond at the Brazoria County Sheriff's Department located at 3602 CR 45 in Angleton
- Contact an attorney
- Contact a bail bond company
Will city employees recommend a bail bond company or an attorney?
- No, but most bail bond companies and attorneys can be located in the phone book, on the Internet, or by using directory assistance.
Where are impounded vehicles stored?
- The West Columbia Police Department uses three wrecker services: E&S Wrecker Service, 500 S Columbia Dr., West Columbia. Their phone number is (979)345-3799.
Joe's Wrecker Service, 500 S. Columbia Dr., West Columbia. Their phone number is (979)345-3799.
Hart's Wrecker Service, 626 S. 17th St., West Columbia. Their phone number is (979)345-3436.
Dispatch will give you the information to where the vehicle is located.
Inquiries concerning fees and method of payment to the storage facility should be directed to the towing company, as police department staff does not know this information. Be prepared to provide information such as the vehicle's year, make, model, and license plate number.
Where can prisoners released from the West Columbia City Jail be picked up?
- Prisoners are released in the police department lobby.